Last updated: 12/10/2021
A factory reset will not erase the current firmware installed on the unit. Instead, it erases all values in the player registry, including all network settings, BrightSign Network recovery settings, touchscreen configuration settings, etc.
There are several ways to reset a player to factory defaults. Choose one of the methods below.
You can watch a tutorial video that covers methods 1 and 2 by clicking here.
- If you have trouble with the other methods, use the Factory Reset Script method.
- If you are currently using a firmware extension, be sure you have the means to reinstall the extension as it may be removed by the Factory Reset process.
- If your player requires a .bsca certificate package for network connectivity, the Factory Reset process will clear that and you will need to manually reapply it.
Note: The Control Button method requires the player to be installed with firmware version 6.2.39 or later.
- Disconnect player from power.
- IMPORTANT: Remove the player's storage device (SD card, USB drive, SSD). If the storage device is not removed, the player may improperly run the setup process before the reset can occur.
- Press and hold both SVC and Reset buttons.
- Apply power to the player.
- Wait until the red Err LED starts blinking rapidly.
- Release the SVC and Reset buttons (the Err LED will stop blinking).
- The player will perform the factory reset. In the end, the player will reboot and show BrightSign logo on the screen with system info (serial number, MAC address, OS version).
After that, you can use the storage device (sd card) to set up the player.
Diagnostic Web Server (DWS)
Note: The Diagnostic Web Server method requires the player to be installed with firmware version 6.2.39 or later. If you do not know what firmware version your player has, use the Factory Reset script further below.
- Access the DWS.
- Navigate to the CONTROL tab.
- Click the Factory Reset button.
Factory Reset Script
Note: The Factory Reset Script method will will not provide any feedback on audio-only players. Wait at least 3 minutes for the reset to apply before attempting to reconfigure the player.
To reset your unit to factory default settings:
- Download the factory reset autorun.brs file by clicking here (the file is also available at the bottom of this article).
- Copy the autorun.brs file to the root directory of a blank SD card or USB thumbdrive.
- Insert the SD card or USB thumbdrive into the unit while it is powered off.
- Power on the unit. In a moment, you will see a yellow message on the screen that states "Deleting Recovery settings". You will then see this message: "Settings Deleted. Remove script from flash card, and Restart".
- The script will delete itself and restart the player when complete. Once restarted, you should see a BrightSign logo on the screen with the firmware version that is installed on the unit.