Last Updated: October 14, 2015
You can easily send Hex values using an Interactive presentation in BrightAuthor.
The following is an example of a "power on" command for a Viewsonic projector. These are hex values, indicated by the “0x” prefix.
0x06 0x14 0x00 0x04 0x00 0x34 0x11 0x00 0x00 0x5D
To send this command to the projector using the serial port on a BrightSign player, do the following:
- Create an Interactive presentation in BrightAuthor.
- Open the media state or event where you want to send the hex command.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Add Command and set the command to Send -- Serial Bytes.
- Set the Port to 0 (this is the case for most standard serial devices).
- Enter the command in the Bytes field. Use a comma to separate each byte.
When sending serial bytes, you must use decimal values, not the hex values listed above. You can convert hex values to decimal values using any number of free websites.
06 00 04 00 34 11 00 00 5D
Equivalent decimal values:
06 00 04 00 52 17 00 00 93
Note: The DE-9 (more commonly referred to as DB-9) serial port is fully RS-232 compatible, but the 3.5mm serial port can only interoperate with some RS-232 compatible devices. It can receive from any RS-232 device, but transmission may not work depending on the electrical characteristics of the device.