The functionality of BrightAuthor can be extended with numerous plugins and custom scripts. We maintain a repository of tested and documented plugins at the BrightSign GitHub page.
You can use the following batch files to generate MRSS manifest (.xml) files for a set of images or videos. Note that these batch files are intended for use on Windows 7 PCs. Instructions for using each batch file is included in the .zip file.
Zone Converter Tool
If you use authoring software such as Photoshop and Illustrator to create digital signage content, you can use this tool to easily convert a digital canvas to BrightAuthor zones. Use the links below to download the tool and view the Technical Note that explains how to use it.
BrightScript Syntax Highlighter Extensions
If you build custom BrightScript autorun files, you can use the following text editor extensions to make BrightScript more readable. Please refer to the BrightScript 3.0 Reference Manual to learn more about the BrightScript framework, syntax, and functions, or refer to the Object Reference Manual to learn about about the standard library of objects, interfaces, and methods.
Note: All credit for these extensions goes to their respective authors.
IntelliJ IDEA Ver: 2018.3+
Plug-in Ver: 0.2.0
Provides syntax highlighting, code folding, auto indentation, statement auto-completion, and GoTo declaration.
- Press Ctrl/Cmd+Alt+S to open the Settings/Preferences dialog.
- Go to Plugins.
- Click the Marketplace tab.
- Type "BrightScript" into the search dialog.
- Click Install.
- Click OK in the Settings dialog and restart IntelliJ IDEA.
- While Notepad++ is open, navigate to Language > Define Your Language.
- Click Import... and locate the downloaded "BrightScriptDefault.xml" or "BrightScriptBlack.xml" file.
- Click Open.
- Close and reopen the Notepad++ application.
- Apply the BrightScript extension to an open file by opening the Language menu and selecting the "BrightScript" plug-in. The application will also use the BrightScript extension to display any .brs files you open.
Author: Michael Ottoson
Beta Version released July 9, 2021
BrightSign APIs for humans. This python module simplifies using the BrightSign BSN/BSNEE REST API. This Beta release is pretty stable but it is still subject to breaking changes in later releases.
See https://pypi.org/project/pybrightsign/ for the latest documentation.
- Copy and paste the downloaded "brightscript.syn" file to the System folder of the Textpad application. A common file path for this folder would be C:\Program Files\TextPad 5\system
- While Textpad is open, close any open document windows and navigate to Configure > Choose Preferences.
- Select Document Classes and click the New symbol (next to the Delete symbol).
- Enter a name for the new User Defined Class (e.g. "BrightScript") and click Apply.
- Expand the Document Classes menu using the + button.
- Select your new User Defined Class.
- Click the New symbol in the Files in class... list.
- Enter "*.brs" into the field and click Apply.
- Expand your new User Defined Class using the + button.
- Select the Syntax menu.
- Check the Enable syntax highlighting box.
- Locate the "brightscript.syn" file in the Syntax definition file dropdown menu.
- Click Apply. Then click OK. Syntax highlighting will now be applied to any .brs file you open.