We have uncovered an issue with the 188.8.131.52 software version of BrightAuthor. This bug may affect you if these conditions apply:
- You are installing 184.108.40.206 as the first version of BrightAuthor on your PC, or you have deleted user settings pertaining to previous versions of BrightAuthor (these are located in a different file directory than the software itself).
- You are configuring your player to operate as a networked device.
If you attempt to set up a networked player by clicking on the Advanced Network Setup button in the BrightSign Unit Setup window, you will receive an error message and be unable to specify your network settings. The option to automatically obtain an IP address cannot be selected, so the player will not be able to connect to your local network.
We are currently developing a fix for this issue, and it will be available soon. You will be able to find this new software version on the Software Downloads page. The release will also be announced here on the Support Homepage. Until then, you can use the following steps to work around this problem:
- When you encounter the error message described above, choose Ignore. Attempting to Retry will likely cause BrightAuthor to crash.
- Close the Advanced Network Setup window and exit the software program by navigating to File > Exit.
Note: You must exit BrightAuthor correctly to resolve this problem. If BrightAuthor crashes, or if you are forced to abort BrightAuthor (using Alt+F4 or a similar method), the error message will recur.
- Open BrightAuthor and navigate to Tools > Setup BrightSign Unit again.
- Click Advanced Network Setup. The wired and wireless Connection Settings will now be set to obtain the IP address automatically (you can also enter the IP settings manually if desired).
If you are having any trouble completing these steps, or if you have any other questions, please contact Technical Support.